SUPERVISORY FUNCTION: No Direct Reports but this position will be required to guide other staff in the area of expertise
A. POSITION SUMMARY: Describe the primary purpose of this position and the major expected end result.
Pediatric Anesthesiologist will be responsible for the provision of high quality evidence- based care for patients requiring anesthesia and perioperative care. He/she is expected to have a strong base in pediatric anesthesia and analgesia;
The candidate should have the ability to work independently and will have the requisite skills and experience for effectively and efficiently diagnosing, managing, treating all patients placed under the post holder's care within the usual scope of anesthetic services. He/she is expected to perform regular daytime duties as well as participating in the after-hours duty roster.
The Pediatric Anesthesiologist is expected to be an example of clinical excellence within his or her specialty and to provide leadership and training for junior medical staff. He/she is also expected to demonstrate an active interest and involvement in research. Interdisciplinary and multi-level educational contributions are integral to this post, and may include bedside teaching, participation in training and CMEs
B. RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS DESCRIPTION: List specific duties & Activities to be performed. List CORE and SPECIAL Responsibilities
- Provides excellent patient clinical care, as informed by International current standards of care in relation with the Institutional policies.
- Provides anesthetic care including pediatric anesthesia and analgesia, general anesthesia, neuraxial regional anesthesia, intravenous and inhalational anesthesia, monitored anesthesia care and emergency airway management conforming to the best current practices.
- Provides pre-anesthetic and post-anesthetic consultative care and follow-up, and appropriate referrals.
- Performs pre-anesthetic informed consent discussions with patients and families and provides documentation thereof.
- Covers emergency and on-call duties as determined by the Head of Department and/or his designee.
- Works in a in a congenial, supportive, collaborative and equitable environment.
- Works collaboratively with other physicians, nurse anesthetists, nurses, other health care providers and all other division staff to ensure that cohesive, cross functional teams are maintained.
- Promotes mentorship and academic career development for junior team members.
- Participates in clinical research projects.
- Provides accurate and timely quality and safety data on each patient care encounter.
- Communicates effectively, consistently, and in a timely manner with colleagues and other staff members
- Performs departmental duties as determined by the Head of Department.
- Involvement and Supervision of Resuscitation in the Emergency Department.
- Involvement in Management of Acutely ill patients (ICU).
- Involvement in the Post-Operative Pain Management.
- Degree or equivalent
- Master Degree in Anesthesiology
- Fellowship in pediatric anesthesia
- Minimum of 3 years clinical experience post certification and completion of training
- Should have a valid Practicing License
- BLS, ACLS (Advance Cardiac Life Support) training certificate.
- Treating people with trust, respect and compassion.
- Communicating openly, honestly and acting with integrity.
- Enabling professional and organisational standards to be met.
- Supporting achievement and acknowledging successes.
- Creating healthy and safe environments.
- Welcoming new ideas.
- Ability to work with diverse groups and commitment to advancing workplace diversity.
- Collaborative partner who values teamwork and integration.
- Openness, accessibility and visibility; approachable.
- Motivational and inspirational with a commitment to excellence.
- Excellent communication, listening, and negotiation skills, inclusive of other’s views
- Sense of humor, strong confident style and enthusiastic disposition.
- Demonstrated and inherent Integrity and honesty.
- Willingness to be flexible in work habits and assigned tasks. Adaptable and comfortable in less than fully structured environment
- Focused and detail oriented.
E. CHALLENGES: Indicate barriers and challenges that may impact performance, commitments, deliverables. Include cyclical projects, travel, unusual work hours, multiple roles, etc
- Balancing priorities and competing deadlines across a variety of tasks.
- Juggling the competing interests of clients, management and ensuring alignment with Institutional
practices, policies and guidelines.