Location: Scanza Carpentry Workshop, Mwakaje, Zanzibar, Tanzania.
Performs supervisory responsibilities for managing two or more groups of skilled workers producing customized orders of great variety in the sphere of furniture, woodwork and cabinet making. Our range spans from specially designed key rings, via chairs, tables, customised kitchens to doors and windows. In short, anything from wood plus incorporated materials such as textiles, upholstery and metal details. The job requires artistic input, as well as technical know-how in the field of cabinet making.
The candidate is responsible for weekly, daily and hourly planning in the workshop, constantly guiding, training, explaining to the workers the most time efficient and cost conscious solutions, keeping the highest quality of the end product in mind. Our customers are at the very high end of the quality spectrum and the supervisor must at all times ensure that the end product corresponds to drawings, as well as our reputed quality. The work also includes personal participation as a master craftsman. Assignments are received orally and written, with attached drawings or sketches.
Work is performed under general direction of an administrative superior and company director and is reviewed through discussions and inspection of completed work.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans, lays out, and supervises all work of the cabinet shop; advises carpenter’s on technical solutions of problems relating to the individual jobs. This can be verbal instruction, by making a detailed drawing or by hands on instructions and tuition.
- Assigns subordinate personnel to work details and inspects work in progress and upon completion to ensure that it meets required standards; inspects items reported to be in need of repair to lay out a work plan and will from time to time be asked to estimates time, materials, and costs for work to be built, repaired, and refinished.
- Supervises and participates in the construction, installation, refinishing, and repairs of customers orders; lays out outline and dimensions on lumber stock according to drawing and blue print designs to ensure the most efficient wood/material usage.
- Supervises the operation and maintenance of woodworking machines including table saws, planers, jointers, mortise and tenon machines, 32/32 multi drills and other machines and tools used to cut, shape, and assemble parts from stock.
- Maintains records and reports material, labor, and time costs; requisitions supplies, materials, tools, and equipment.
- Recruits and trains personnel in the safe operation of equipment and tools.
- Enforces safety regulations, rules, working conditions and time keeping.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The applicant must have passed O-levels or equivalent and in addition possess a vocational training diploma from a European standard training facility; 5 years of related experience including supervisory or lead experience and considerable experience as a journeyman cabinet maker or any equivalent combination of training and experience as well as excellent communication skills.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of the standard methods, equipment, materials, tools, and practices of the cabinet making trade.
- Thorough knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the construction trades.
- Ability to effectively supervise skilled workers in the workshop and from time to time on site/installation of work.
- Ability to interpret and work from penciled sketches, drawings, plans, and blue prints.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with direct employees and auxiliary staff.
- Ability to make and project material and labor estimates.
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with superiors, subordinates, auxiliary staff and some direct contact with customers.
- Skill in the use and care of standard tools and equipment of the carpentry, cabinet making, and woodworking trades.
- The applicant must be fluent in English and Kiswahili or if not fluent must be willing to learn the language to a degree that facilitates accurate communication with the workers.
- A full, clean driving license is essential.