Project Concern International (PCI), in partnership with Bunda, Butiama and Musoma District Councils, is implementing a five-year (2017-2021) Food for Education (FFE 3) project in Mara region funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). The goal of the FFE program is to improve literacy of school-age children in 231 primary and pre-primary schools in Bunda, Butiama and Musoma Districts.
The project objectives are: (1) To improve the quality of literacy instruction through the provision of school supplies, establishment of libraries, distribution and production of reading materials, training of teachers and school administrators (2) To improve attentiveness and reduce short- term hunger through the provision of school meals, developing partnership with farmer groups to supply food to schools and establishing school gardens. (3) To improve student attendance through better health and nutrition practices and increasing community understanding of the benefits of education. (4) To improve knowledge of health and hygiene practices through screening and school health education. (5) To increase knowledge of safe food preparation and storage practices through training (6)To increase access to clean water and sanitation services through the construction of latrines and water systems.(7) To increase access to food preparation and storage tools and equipment through the construction of energy saving stoves.
Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
- Responsible for design, implementation, monitoring, technical supervision and support of WASH activities on Water Sanitation and Hygiene in project schools and communities.
- Manage tender processes through PCI procurement system.
- Manage contractors from procurement through completion of their contracts.
- Conducting regular monitoring to assess progress of construction works against time elapse and resources.
- Work with PCI team on SWASH facilities construction needs assessment in participating schools/communities.
- In collaboration with stakeholders recommend SWASH facilities allocation to schools based on agreed criteria.
- Responsible for construction of latrines, clean-water systems including rainwater catchment tanks, boreholes and fuel efficient stoves.
- Responsible for facilitating community initiated renovations, updating or construction of libraries/library space, teachers latrines, classrooms and general buildings (especially in terms of advising on selection of designs and quality issues)
- Responsible for optimization of construction resources (materials, manpower, plants etc) within acceptable timeframe
- Responsible to manage construction contractors and prioritize their work
- Responsible for any other construction/renovation works which may be undertaken by PCI.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering with 5 years' experience of work
- Registered Professional Engineer by ERB (Engineers Registration Board) in;
- Design, Planning, Construction, Maintenance, Installation, Testing, Commissioning, project Management
- Good operating knowledge of basic computer skills like- MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, Email Correspondence, etc.
- Good operating knowledge of AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, Structural Analysis Software or any drafting and design software
- Willing to work odd hours as per the program needs
- Honest, diligent, punctual and displaying a professional attitude at the workplace
- At least 5 years of professional experience in WASH related works-health & hygiene, sanitation, drinking water & toilet construction.
- Experience in contracts management with local artisans and small to medium vendors and service providers
- Experience working with government officials
- Experience working in a multi-cultural environment, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
- Experience of construction of permanent/semi-permanent buildings will be given preference.
Job Location Musoma, , Tanzania Position Type Full-Time/Regular