Anticipated level of Effort: 10 days
Anticipated Start Date: August 2019
The Feed the Future Tanzania Enabling Growth through Investment and Enterprise Program (ENGINE) is a four-year USAID intiative. ENGINE seeks to streamline and enhance many of the regulatory, informational, and financial channels that encourage domestic and foreign investment in the southern agricultural regions of Mbeya, Morogoro, and Iringa, as well as in Zanzibar.
Implemented by the International Executive Service Corps (IESC), the activity’s focus is at the sub national level, using a broad-based approach that works with district councils, private sector associations, business development service providers, financial institutions, and microsmall, and medium enterprises (SMEs).
ENGINE provides technical assistance to Tanzanian financial institutions to strengthen them and better position them to respond to small enterprise and agribusiness clients. As part of this stream of support, ENGINE is seeking an Environmental Compliance consultant to aid one Tanzanian bank to better incorporate environmental considerations into their credit assessments and monitoring activities.
Objectives of the Assignment
Working closely with Bank staff, develop a new environmental policy and provide them the knowledge and tools needed to implement the new policy.
• Examine the environmental issues and concerns associated with potential business activities proposed for financing or being financed by the financial institution;
• Identify and evaluate the environmental risks and the associated financial implications arising from these issues and concerns.
• In collaboration with the bank’s management, lead the development of its new environmental policy statement.
• Facilitate development of an Environmental Management Policy Manual (EMPM) that will provide bank staff that:
- Aligns with local environmental laws and international best practices.
- Includes step-by-step guidance on the screening, assessments, decisions, controls and monitoring of environmental risks with respects to projects or activities to be financed by the bank.
- Includes annexes featuring templates and tools that will be used by the bank to facilitate screening, assessments, decisions. controls and monitoring of environmental risks with respects to projects or activities to be financed by the bank.
• Orient the bank’s management staff on the developed Environmental Management Policy Manual.
• Facilitate the bank’s management approval of the developed Environmental Management Policy Manual.
- Completed Environmental Management Policy Manual, including all applicable tools, including a revised Environmental Screening and Management Tool.
- A report that documents the entire process, challenges and lessons learned.
End of the Assignment:
- At the end of the assignment, the consultant will provide exit debriefing for the ENGINE management team.
- Registered as Environmental Expert by National Environmental Management Council (NEMC).
- Possess at least a first degree in a relevant discipline or its equivalent from an accredited University or Institution;
- Have training in Environmental Impact Assessment and /or Environmental Audit.
- Demonstrated experience facilitating development of institutional or organization’s Environmental Management policies, manuals or guidelines.
- Self-motivated, proactive, detail-oriented, mature, professional team player, who is a strong people person and communicator with good inter-person skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and training skills, including training in group settings.
- Ability to address issues, challenges, questions and concerns in a professional, respectful, logical and timely manner.
Beware of Fraud: Employers advertising their positions on the BrighterMonday platform are not supposed to receive payment from job seekers. If an Employer asks you to pay during the application process, please report it to us through this number +255 677 043 467