Reports to: Program Director
Location: Dar es Salaam
Start Date: February 2019
Who we are
D-tree International is a digital health organization with 15 years of experience using innovations in technology to strengthen the quality of health systems in low and middle income countries. D-tree works through partnerships with Ministries of Health and NGOs to bring human-centered design approaches to collaborations in which we support partners to define key programmatic challenges and priorities, explore if and how technology can be used to improve program efficiency and quality, and then work with our partners to choose the most appropriate technology platform to meet their needs. This may include using or building on existing tools, or configuring new solutions through a variety of software platforms. A key aspect of our work is our end-to-end partnership, in which we also support partners to use systems thinking to roll out, implement and monitor programs and facilitate a culture of data use among multiple stakeholders.
D-tree has received funding from USAID, the Gates Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, Fondation Botnar, Human Development Innovation Fund, Packard Foundation, UN Foundation and more than 20 international NGOs. As a pioneer in the field of digital health, D-tree has supported more than 8,000 health workers serving over 5 million families in 16 countries throughout sub-Saharan Africa and Asia. Evaluations have demonstrated improved heath impact through D-tree’s digital programs, including 27% reduction in maternal mortality, 50% increase in facility delivery rates, four-fold increase in postpartum follow-up, 70% increase in contraceptive prevalence rates and 15-fold improvements in health worker performance.
Who you are
We are seeking a full time Finance and Administrative Manager, based in Dar es Salaam, to support the financial, human resource and administrative functions of a small but complex non-profit. This is a dynamic and challenging role requiring an individual with exceptional attention to detail, initiative and interest in supporting the improvement of quality health care for underserved communities.
You are professional, motivated, and efficient team player. You are someone who is just as comfortable working independently in an office setting as you are traveling to D-tree sub offices in Zanzibar to represent the organization to auditors. You excel at multitasking and tracking small details and can help the finance and program management teams think about ways to improve budget management, procurement and compliance. to train colleagues on accounting best practices as you are sitting in a conference room in Boston representing D-tree to auditors. You are a motivated professional who is willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to make our office and administration systems function well.
What you will do
You will be an integral member of the expanding D-tree Tanzanian operations team, supporting project managers and other financial management staff members. You will be responsible for financial management of D-tree Tanzanian based programs, payroll, human resources and donor and government compliance. You will assist the organization with annual and programmatic audits and reviews. You will ensure that D-tree staff follow organizational policies and procedures to ensure a timely month end close process is achieved every period.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Ensure adherence to D-tree financial and HR policies/procedures as well as local employment laws
- Execute accounting and financial functions including: timely recording of transactions, cash management, banking, payroll, payables, receivables
- Assist with month end, quarter end and year end closings
- Serve as the Tanzania contact for grant and financial reviews and audits
- Oversee the budget vs actual tracking for mainland and Zanzibar programs (update dashboards, create projections, review burn rates) and proactively communicate with program managers on status of budgets
- Support Tanzanian team plan for and carry out procurements (draft bids, evaluate proposals, evaluate cost reasonableness, negotiate with mobile network operators for reduced rates, etc)
- Support recruitment and onboarding for new hires
- Payroll Management (including preparation and submission as well as oversight for tax and social security administration for local nationals in Mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar)
- Maintain bank relationships, and plan and monitor country cash flow requirements in conjunction with program managers and financial team
- Maintain physical and electronic inventory
- Perform monthly general ledger accounting reconciliations and analysis ensuring accuracy of ledger and month end reporting in accordance with GAAP, organizational policy and donor regulations
- Process VAT reimbursements
- Oversee employment contract renewals and ensure performance reviews are completed for staff
- Coordinate general office operations: supply and equipment purchasing, office maintenance
- Assist D-tree to stay abreast of compliance trends in Tanzania
- File management (HR, accounting, inventory, consultant contracts, lease/vendor agreements) – both electronic and physical
- Occasional field travel as necessary (to project sites and /or the other office locations)
- Other tasks as assigned
What we are looking for
We are looking for a motivated, passionate individual who is willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to help our organization be successful.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years’ work experience in a similar position (nonprofit bookkeeping and accounting with increasing levels of responsibility)
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred (accounting, business management, public administration or related field)
- Experience managing multiple funding sources (USG, multilateral and private foundation)
- Experience with accounting software essential (Quickbooks preferred)
- Language: Excellent written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- Proficient in use of excel
- Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information
- Must be able to work independently, multi-task, collaborate with a distributed team, be persistent and work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
- Results-oriented, responsible and strong attention to detail
- Accountability & Reliability - Takes ownership and responsibility for decisions, actions, and results; delivers on commitments.
- Initiative – Must display a sense of urgency to effectively and efficiently complete a varying workload in a timely manner. Can initiate actions independently, handles unexpected situations, and volunteers to assist others.
- Adaptability – Ability to adapt to change and respond to challenges positively. Able to manage a variety of different tasks as needed for the position. Can develop and / or learn new processes/systems quickly, and embraces the challenge of unfamiliar tasks.
- Problem Solving – Ability to proactively identify issues and take action by analyzing all the information skillfully to persistently purse positive outcomes. Uses sound judgment about when to take action and when to seek guidance.
- Compliance & Quality – Must ensure accuracy, meet established deadlines of work, produce a quality product and show commitment to continuous improvement efforts. Ability to learn, interpret, and comply with all organization policies and procedures.
- Collaborative - Brings a track record of working effectively with various and diverse individuals and groups, and a willingness to actively listen and invite different views and opinions across all levels of the institution to build alignment in support of a common goal.
How to Apply?
Please log in to see application instructions.