Position Title: Finance and Administration Officer
Reports to: Director
Duty station: Mbeya, Tanzania
Type of contract: Full time position (annual renewable)
Date of Commencement: As soon as possible
Finance and Administration Officer (FAO) will lead and execute all Finance and Administration duties for Health and Insurance Management Services Organization (HIMSO). He or she will also be responsible for budget planning and management as well as staff welfare.
About the Company
The Health and Insurance Management Services Organization (HIMSO), is a local Tanzanian NGO established and registered in 2012 to complement the Government’s effort in providing comprehensive quality health care coverage to the needy population.
HIMSO aims to drive healthcare enhancement interventions as well as provide technical expertise for the development of social protection innovations, particularly for micro-health insurance institutions through Public Private Partnership. HIMSO was formed with the support of CIDR (Centre for International Development and Research), a French based International NGO, which has promoted from 2002 to 2008 Self-Managed Insurance Schemes (SMHIS) in Mbozi and Kyela and then an Improved Community Health Fund (CHF) involving Community Health Fund Users Associations (CHFuA) in Kyela, Rungwe, Busokelo and Mbozi District councils.
HIMSO has been set up to sustain the existing CIDR interventions as well as develop new innovative approaches. Currently, HIMSO is providing technical support to Kyela, Rungwe, Busokelo and Mbozi districts for the professional management of the Improved Community Health Fund. The support includes providing capacity development training to the CHF managers as well as the CHF users Associations (CHFuA) that are responsible for the CHF marketing and enrolment. With funding support from the USAID, Bread for the World (BfW), UKAID through HDIF (Human Development Innovation Fund), BIOLANDs Company Ltd, Lima Ltd and Elton John’s AIDS foundation (EJAF),
HIMSO through its district collaborative partnerships has initiated various innovations including:
- An Emergency Transport System (ETS): this is an emergency transport insurance product designed toward
reducing mortalities arising from delays in receiving medical care.
- Quality Improvement Fund (QIF): It was established to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of health
facilities in their medical care delivery as well as in enrolling CHF members.
- HIV Fund: The Mbeya region has the third highest HIV prevalence at 9.0% whereas the nation’s average is
5.1%. To ensure that People living with HIV (PLHIV) receive the best of medical care, HIMSO and CIDR
established the HIV Fund through funding from the Elton John’s AIDS Foundation and USAID to firstly
subsidize insurance premiums for the PLHIV and secondly to subsidize the actual cost of treating the PLHIV.
Given the experiences under CHF and successful innovations thus far, HIMSO has been invited to take a national role in promoting its innovations as well as support the implementation of the government’s new CHF reform. The new Marketing and Fundraising Officer is expected to lead all of the organization’s initiatives in fundraising, marketing and promotion of the various products and services as well as creating awareness for HIMSO.
The Finance and Administration Officer will be responsible for all of the organizations’ financial requirements, human resources management and administration.
Specifically, the Finance and Administration Officer will be responsible for the following
i. Financial roles
- Preparation of annual organization budget
- Monitoring and controlling budget against actual expenses
- Serve as a key person for Inventory and assets management,
- Assist in developing short and long term financial goals, operating plans, policies and objectives including the preparation and submission of annual budget requests to partner organization and other stakeholders.
- Preparation of financial reports in collaboration with the Accountant
- Undertake internal audit function for client and or partner organization and lease with Director/ staff or board and external auditors in explaining or resolving financial irregularities.
- Internal auditing for the management of HIMSO
- Supervision of external auditing for funding partners
- Procurement of equipment, search for quotations, organize selection committee
- Control application of administrative and financial procedures
- Propose revision of procedures as per audit recommendations and financial partners’ requirements
- Preparation of next phase budgets to submit to financial partners as per requirements
ii. Human Resources Management and Administrative roles
- Assist in the establishment and maintenance of Internal control policies, procedures and keep current on the requirements related to NGOs Management and administration
- Assist the Director on the Managerial and Administrative roles of HIMSO
- Advise on legal issues such as working environment and workers benefits like NSSF,PPF, and PAYE deductions
- Assist the Districts Associations by providing guidance, training, documents and follow up on financial and Administrative issues.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by his/her supervisor
- Supervision of salaries sheets and social security and tax income declarations
- Coordinating staff training needs with the general management
- Follow up of recording of staff timesheets and allocation according activities and budget lines
At least a Master’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or any other related field
i. At least three years’ professional experience in Accounting and Finance in middle or higher management level.
ii. Proven track record of budget planning and management
iii. Experience in human resource and administration
iv. Good ICT competence including professional usage of MS Office
v. Excellent report writing skills
vi. Excellent English and Kiswahili communication skills; both verbal and written
i. Experience in Chartered accountant company
ii. Experience working with non-profit organization(s)
iii. Experience with QuickBooks Accounting Software
iv. Has worked with a multi-donor funded organization
- Good communication skills
- Ability to build good teams and implement plans according to goals and strategies
- Proficiency in working independently and taking initiative, but also works well in teams
- Capable at handling stress as well as a high workload under challenging work conditions
What we Offer
- Competitive terms and conditions (attractive package) and a comprehensive health insurance policy.
- Independent, challenging and rewarding areas of responsibility.
- A team of highly committed national colleagues and international backstopping partners.
- Enriching and meaningful work in a dynamic organization with links to international partners.
- Positive and exciting work environment