Reports to: Program Manager
Location: Stone Town, Zanzibar
Start Date: March 2019
Who we are
D-tree International is a digital health organization with 15 years of experience using innovations in technology to strengthen the quality of health systems in low and middle income countries. D-tree works through partnerships with Ministries of Health and NGOs to bring human-centered design approaches to collaborations in which we support partners to define key programmatic challenges and priorities, explore if and how technology can be used to improve program efficiency and quality, and then work with our partners to choose the most appropriate technology platform to meet their needs. This may include using or building on existing tools, or configuring new solutions through a variety of software platforms. A key aspect of our work is our end-to-end partnership, in which we also support partners to use systems thinking to roll out, implement and monitor programs and facilitate a culture of data use among multiple stakeholders.D-tree has received funding from USAID, the Gates Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, Fondation Botnar, Human Development Innovation Fund, Packard Foundation, UN Foundation and more than 20 international NGOs. As a pioneer in the field of digital health, D-tree has supported more than 8,000 health workers serving over 5 million families in 16 countries throughout sub-Saharan Africa and Asia. Evaluations have demonstrated improved heath impact through D-tree’s digital programs, including 27% reduction in maternal mortality, 50% increase in facility delivery rates, four-fold increase in postpartum follow-up, 70% increase in contraceptive prevalence rates and 15-fold improvements in health worker performance.
Who you are
We are seeking a full time Finance and Administrative Officer, based in Zanzibar, to support the financial, and administrative functions of a small but complex non-profit. This is a dynamic and challenging role requiring an individual with exceptional attention to detail, initiative and interest in supporting the improvement of quality health care for underserved communities.
You are professional, motivated, and efficient team player. You are someone who is just as comfortable working independently in an office setting as you are traveling to the field to oversee administration and logistics for field trainings or community meetings. You excel at multitasking and balance your time to efficiently complete both routine duties and frequent adhoc tasks to support the Zanzibar, Tanzania, or Global teams. You appreciate the big picture and understand program goals and workplans, while skillfully tracking small details and helping the finance and program management teams think about ways to improve budget management, procurement, and compliance. You are able to train colleagues on accounting best practices and would be comfortable sitting in a conference room in Dar es Salaam or Stone Town representing D-tree to auditors. You are a motivated professional who is willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to make our office and administration systems function well.
What you will do
You will be an integral member of the expanding D-tree Tanzanian operations team, supporting project managers and other financial management staff members. You will be responsible for financial management of D-tree Zanzibar based programs, and donor and government compliance. You will assist the organization with annual and programmatic audits and reviews. You will ensure that D-tree staff follow organizational policies and procedures to ensure a timely month end close process is achieved every period.
Key Responsibilities include:
· Ensure adherence to D-tree financial and HR policies/procedures as well as local employment laws
· Serve as the Zanzibar contact for grant and financial reviews and audits with support from global operations team
· Maintain physical and electronic inventory for the Zanzibar programs
· Execute accounting and financial functions including: timely recording of transactions, cash management, banking, payroll submissions such as ZSSF and payables
· Assist with month end, quarter end and year end closings
· Coordinate the budget vs actual tracking for Zanzibar programs (update dashboards, create projections, review burn rates) and proactively communicate with program managers on status of budgets
· Maintain bank relationships, and plan and monitor Zanzibar cash flow requirements in conjunction with program managers and financial team
· Process VAT reimbursements for Zanzibar
· Stay abreast of NGO compliance for Zanzibar sub-office (liaison with regulatory bodies as necessary)
· Manage corporate mobile money accounts, including monitoring the balance, managing online tracking systems, and initiating and verifying transactions
· Maintain and monitor mobile money account, including initiating payments
· Pay monthly stipends to community health volunteers and supervisors ensuring proper back-up documentation is in placed
· Build capacity of Zanzibar government staff to take on some of the logistical and operational responsibilities, including mobile money payments
Administration and Logistics
· Supervise Zanzibar logistics assistant who will support in logistical and administrative needs of Zanzibar program
· Support the Zanzibar team plans and carry out procurements (draft bids, evaluate proposals, evaluate cost reasonableness, negotiate with mobile network operators for reduced rates, etc)
· Support recruitment and onboarding for new hires
· Travel to the field as needed to support program implementation activities
· Coordinate general office operations: supply and equipment purchasing, office maintenance
· Coordinate work and residence permit process as necessary for existing and /or new D-tree team members from other countries
Other tasks as assigned
What we are looking for
We are looking for a motivated, passionate individual who is willing to wear multiple hats and do what it takes to help our organization be successful.
· Minimum 3 – 5 years’ work experience in a similar position (nonprofit bookkeeping and accounting with increasing levels of responsibility)
· Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred (accounting, business management, public administration or related field)
· Experience managing multiple funding sources (USG, multilateral and private foundation)
· Experience with accounting software essential (Quickbooks preferred)
· Language: Excellent written and spoken English and Kiswahili
· Proficient in use of excel
· Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information
· Must be able to work independently, multi-task, collaborate with a distributed team, be persistent and work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
· Results-oriented, responsible and strong attention to detail
· Accountability & Reliability - Takes ownership and responsibility for decisions, actions, and results; delivers on commitments.
· Initiative – Must display a sense of urgency to effectively and efficiently complete a varying workload in a timely manner. Can initiate actions independently, handles unexpected situations, and volunteers to assist others.
· Adaptability – Ability to adapt to change and respond to challenges positively. Able to manage a variety of different tasks as needed for the position. Can develop and / or learn new processes/systems quickly, and embraces the challenge of unfamiliar tasks.
· Problem Solving – Ability to proactively identify issues and take action by analyzing all the information skillfully to persistently purse positive outcomes. Uses sound judgment about when to take action and when to seek guidance.
· Compliance & Quality – Must ensure accuracy, meet established deadlines of work, produce a quality product and show commitment to continuous improvement efforts. Ability to learn, interpret, and comply with all organization policies and procedures.
· Collaborative - Brings a track record of working effectively with various and diverse individuals and groups, and a willingness to actively listen and invite different views and opinions across all levels of the institution to build alignment in support of a common goal.
How to Apply?
Please log in to see application instructions.