Title: Finance Officer- General Accounting
Reporting to: Senior Finance Officer-General Accounting
Location: Dar es Salaam
Project: Kizazi Kipya.
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its 42-year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future.
Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems, and transforming markets into a force for development. Pact Tanzania is a field office of “Pact” an international non-governmental and non-profit making organization with its headquarters in Washington DC. Pact Tanzania exists to build local capacity to enable systematic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy and enjoy the benefit nature provides.
Perform functions to support Pact Tanzania in financial management in order to provide: accurate, current and complete disclosure of financial transactions; records that identify source and application of funds; effective control and accountability of funds, property and other assets; and comparison of expenditure versus budget amounts.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review Payment vouchers with supporting documents for completeness and authorize Finance Assistant to write cheques and / or payments’ documents for Senior Finances’ Manager approval.
- Review Journal vouchers ensuring they are adequately supported, properly classified and allocated to appropriate program and overhead accounts
- Review staff travel advance requests
- Review, check and follow-up staff liquidations (travel expenses reports, other expenses’ reports) ensuring they are liquidated on timely manner.
- Assist Senior Finance Officer in reviewing sub-grant liquidations.
- Review all posted financial transactions in the accounting software to ensure expenses are allocated appropriately into their cases or program codes.
- Prepare monthly payroll ensuring salaries are paid on a timely manner, including preparing instructions to the bank for salary transfers.
- Allocate salaries’ cost to appropriate program and overhead accounts based on staff timesheets.
- Calculate social security and severance costs and allocate them to appropriate program and overhead accounts based on staff timesheet.
- Prepare statutory payments (PAYE, social security payments) and gratuity ensuring they paid on timely manner.
- Prepare Annual statutory returns.
- Post approved payment vouchers, journal vouchers and all receivables in the accounting software.
- Be Pact contact person with banks.
- Monitoring bank balances and advise Senior Finance Manager to request funds from HQ and transfer funds from USD to TZS bank accounts.
- Seek quotations of exchange rates for best rates to exchange USD to TZS.
- Assist the Senior Finance Manager in the preparations of cash request to HQ
- A custodian of cash, cheques and all legal documents, ensuring that they are kept in a safe.
- Reconcile petty cash replenishments and perform surprise cash counts.
- Work with the Senior Finance Manager in cash forecasting to ensure funds are available for Pact’s activities.
- Provide requisite cooperation with external auditors and organizations undertaking audits and/ or financial reviews.
- Assist the Senior Finance Officer in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial report.
- Review and solve outstanding liquidation in receivable and payable accounts.
- Prepare the monthly reconciliation of the bank accounts making sure reconciling items are verifiable and outstanding items are adequately followed up and cleared.
- Participate in staff orientation, training, development, and team-building for all staff within and outside the department
- Carry out other duties assigned by Senior Finance Manager.
- Bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance or Commerce: or holder of Advanced Diploma in Accounting, Finance or Commerce.
- NBAA Intermediate Stage Module F, or higher modules will be added advantage.
- At least three years of progressively responsible experience in general accounting, including at least one year working with non-profit organizations and international donors.
- Knowledge and familiarity with donors’ rules and regulations, especially USAID.
- Prior experience working with online banking.
- Knowledge of financial and accounting principles.
- Working knowledge of accounting software, such as QuickBooks, ACCPAC, Serenic etc.
- Ability to perform account reconciliations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Kiswahili.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong training and capacity building skills
- Computer literacy and familiarity with standard office computer applications.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Analytical and report presentation skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The closing date for applications will be Wednesday 20th November 2019.
To learn more about Pact Tanzania visit: http://www.pactworld.org/country/tanzania
Pact provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.