Reports to: Managing Director
Term: 12 months, possibility to extend
Start Date: 1 May, 2019
Location: Arusha (regular travel to Moshi)
Hours: Full time – 45 hours per week
About the Organization
Anza is a Tanzanian organization that provides entrepreneurs the capacity, capital and community they need to thrive via the Anza Accelerator, Growth Fund and Anza Hub spaces. Our services assist entrepreneurs to strengthen their operations, increase profitability, and scale their social impact to create more jobs and improve access to underserved markets. Anza is also actively engaged in shaping and maturing the Tanzanian innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystem.
In addition to selling our services directly to entrepreneurs, Anza also provides business development services to entrepreneurs connected to our partner organizations, such as MEDA, CARE and Aga Khan Foundation, as they also share our belief in supporting entrepreneurs.
Anza has offices in Moshi, Arusha, Dar es Salaam and Lindi/Mtwara.
The Role Opportunities & Responsibilities
Anza requires a highly talented and passionate Fundraising Manager to work effectively with prominent partners and funders, and lead the organization’s fundraising efforts to meet the annual budget. Specific responsibilities include:
Revenue Management, Strategy & Donor Compliance (5%)
- In partnership with the Director of Finance/MD, assist in the annual Anza revenue budgeting process
- Development of Annual Fundraising Strategy including philanthropy and earned revenue
- Coordinate with the Director of Finance on actual vs budget, cash flow, and revenue projections from fundraising
- Prepare fundraising reports for Board meetings
- Participate in annual audit process
- Be a leader among leaders in maintaining the organizational culture, professionalism, focus on outcomes/deliverables, and highest quality management standards
- Write annual report for UK charity commission
- Manage bi-weekly fundraising meetings, preparation, agenda, follow-up
- Continuously monitor and evaluate fundraising activities, taking corrective action or enhancing them when necessary.
Philanthropic Fundraising (45%)
Grants, Major Donors and Individual Giving
- To develop and oversee and actively lead the implementation of a fundraising strategy which exploits a wide range of fundraising opportunities, maintains diverse and sustainable income streams, and builds the organization’s financial capacity to meet its objectives
- To drive innovation in fundraising activity in order to deliver a long term impact and stable funding plan
- In partnership with the Managing Director, cultivate and steward current and potential donor relationships, including foundations and high net-worth individuals
- Proactively prepare the MD and Board for cultivation and solicitations
- Grants research - identify new pipeline, identify core areas for research
- Manage 2 Grant Research interns for prospect research (grants/individuals)
- Identify ‘warm leads’ and build initial relationships with foundations
- Manage grant application process, including writing grant applications, developing slide decks, concept notes and liaising with relevant departments for information
- Design budgets and adapt financials for grant proposals
- Submit grant applications, with supporting documents
- Manage Fundraising Consultant for proposal writing
- Support Board of Directors in their fundraising goals and efforts
- Maintain relevant text collection and update according to program focus and M&E
- Detailed tracking: track applications, upcoming deadlines, responses, reporting requirements, follow-up, etc.
- Be lead responsible on providing on-time and relevant reports for existing grants, liaising with Client Services Team for M&E data
- Manage Individual Giving programme including development and implementation of #givingtuesday strategy, annual Christmas campaign, and other individual donors in Tanzania and abroad
Earned Revenue Consultancies (45%)
- In partnership with the Managing Director, actively research, identify and solicit new institutional contracts and fee-for-service engagements / consultancy opportunities in-line with Anza’s vision and program focus
- Support Managing Director as lead developer of proposal/slide decks
- Management of bidding/proposal process, assigning roles, collating necessary documents, and developing budgets (including positive margins)
Donor Communications (5%)
- Quarterly newsletters to Anza Mailing List to encompass updates and donation requests
- Continue to expand Anza Mailing List to new partners, leads, etc.
- Work closely with the Marketing Manager to ensure messaging meets Anza company objectives to reach donors
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Community development or project development or in related field (MSc in development studies from a recognized institution will be an added advantage)
- At least 3+ years’ experience in grants management, fundraising and partnerships
- Knowledge of fundraising techniques including, but not limited to: proposal writing; public relations; prospect research; donor relations and stewardship.
- Knowledge of major official donors, with proven ability in developing and maintaining effective working partnerships with donors
- Proven track-record in preparing fundable proposal development and submission
- Demonstrated senior leadership experiences at or outside of work.
- Good computer skills and database management experience.
- A proficient level of English and Swahili, written and oral
It is desirable for you to have:
- Ability to work on own initiative and work to deadlines.
- Sensitive and responsive to core values gender, equity, culture, traditions and justice within the communication of the NGO.