REPORTS TO: Senior Trainer Mentor
competitive within Tanzanian NGO market rates
BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action uses media and communications to
reduce poverty and promote human rights in developing countries. To achieve
this, Media Action partners with civil society, local media and governments to:
- Produce creative programmes in multi-media
formats, based on robust research, which inform and engage audiences
around key development issues.
- Strengthen the media sector through building
professional capacity and infrastructure.
BBC Media Action delivers a portfolio of media
projects in Tanzania. It seeks to expand this portfolio of work, but also
ensure that existing projects are delivered to time, to budget and to the
highest standards, and in accordance with BBC editorial values as well as Media
Overall Purpose of Job
Action is seeking a media trainer/mentor to deliver in-depth training/mentoring
to our partners and their staff in order to raise partners’ capacity to produce
varied, high quality and editorially robust media output (including both ‘traditional’
and ‘new’ media). In particular, the post holder will develop training
curricula that meet the needs of our partners and which deliver against our
wider project objectives. The
trainer/mentor will deliver the training in-situ at our partners, and at
centrally-organised training events.
The trainer/mentor will provide on-going support to our partner
organisations and their staff, with the goal of raising practices, quality and
capacity across the media sector in Tanzania, and fostering stronger links
between NGOs and the media.
- To develop and deliver the partner-training
and capacity-building elements of BBC Media Action’s projects so that
partners reach high standards in terms of quality, effectiveness, impact
and relevance, meeting objectives of the relevant project(s).
- To work with more senior colleagues in the
mentoring team to design relevant on-the-job production training guides
for partners and to independently deliver these trainings at assigned
partners. These documents will guide the entire period of mentorship and
serve as a frame of reference for evaluating the trainer/ mentors
- To deliver training workshops and events,
using the training curriculum.
- To deliver one-on-one mentoring to our
partners. The trainer/ mentors will provide constructive feedback at the
end of each assignment.
- To work closely with partners’ staff on all
aspects of training and media-production in order to ensure the staff have
the maximum sense of ‘ownership’ of the media produced.
- To introduce and continue regular editorial
meetings to support output.
- To ensure that findings from research are used
to refine and improve projects’ outputs.
- To submit weekly reports and work plans
- To support all international trainers coming
to our partners.
- To ensure all project activities meet BBC
standards, as well as delivering the projects’ development objectives.
- To provide technical linkages between NGO
experts and partners in development of products and manage relationships
- Where necessary, to work with partners’
management to build and maintain a technical advisory board of NGOs/CSOs
at the partners and to advise on programming.
- To generate new project ideas and relate up to
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
Required skills, knowledge and experience
- Fluent in English and Swahili with ability to
write reports and scripts in these languages
- Strong editorial judgment and substantial
media production experience within Tanzania is essential (3 years minimum
with a reputable organisation)
- Experience in training is an added advantage
interpersonal skills, communication & influencing skills
- Ability to work in teams
- Strong understanding of and commitment towards
BBC editorial values
- Strong understanding of the role of media and
communications in development
The following competencies (behaviours and
characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful
candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
Thinking – Able to simplify complex
problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate
them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct
frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
Making – Is ready and able to take the
initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of
the decision made.
and Organisation – Is able to think ahead in
order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self
and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the
relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources
– Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face
of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can
demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment,
motivation and energy.
and Persuading – Ability to present sound and
well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of
strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or
– The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range
of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature
of the information.
relationships – Able to build and maintain
effective working relationships with a range of people.
– Is able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and
The BBC is an equal opportunity employer.