· Oversee medical activities in the clinical areas- antenatal, postnatal ward, labour ward, theatres, new born nursery, fistula ward, early pregnancy ward, outpatient clinic, theatres and laboratory as appropriate.
· Lead the team of local doctors to ensure excellent clinical care is maintained and developed
· To provide an opinion and assist in management of any outpatients or inpatients referred for review by the midwifery team
· Ensure that teaching ward rounds occur each morning and appropriate plan of care is decided and implemented-according to current clinical guidelines
· Attend all obstetric emergencies when on duty/on call and plan ongoing management of care
· Perform assisted deliveries, caesarean section and other procedures in theatre and otherwise assist the midwifery team in prevention and management of complications of pregnancy and labour.
· Attend and review all patients with early pregnancy complications and be responsible for planning and implementing medical/surgical management.
· To assist during fistula camps- with screening of patients, intraoperative and post-operative care.
· To be present on-site during working hours within the clinical area
· Perform on-call duties including weekends and nights as per Kivulini Maternity Centre roster.
· Mentor and support all members of the multi-disciplinary team in a manner in which shared goals, shared knowledge and mutual respect are emphasised.
· Be an active part of the training schedule for clinical staff and ensure training sessions are an integral part of staff development
· Ensure all medical documentation is filled correctly and on time.
· Lead clinical governance initiatives including timely reporting and reviewing of clinical incidents
· Ensure that data collection is timely, accurate and complete as required for service delivery and for any ongoing, MA approved research projects
· Ensure that reporting to M.O.H of any reproductive data and reports as required is timely, accurate and complete
· Be responsible for the rostering of medical, laboratory and nurse anaesthetist staff
· Perform any other duties related to the role as required by Maternity Africa
Qualifications and specifications
· Degree in Medicine with a Masters in Obstetrics and Gynaecology from an accredited institution
· Current Registration with Tanganyika Medical Council (TMC)
· At least Three years of professional experience as a Medical Doctor.
· Have Positive Attitude, Safe Practitioner and Effective Communicator.