The School (located in Tanga) is seeking a dynamic and hardworking Person with relevant qualifications and experience to fill this challenging and rewarding post.
The School Accountant is a member of the School Management Team and works closely with the Head Teacher, Deputy Head Teacher, School Project Manager and Managing Director.
The School Accountant areas of responsibilities are
- Financial resource management
- Management and Administration
School Accountant specific responsibilities:
Finance and Accountancy
- Advising on general financial policy within the school.
- Preparing annual estimates of income and expenditure, linked appropriately with the School’s Development Plan.
- Organizing departmental budgets within school in consultation with the Head Teacher, Deputy Head Teacher , Project Manager and Managing Director
- Monitoring income and expenditure in relation to budget ,Keep analyses of costs and other statistical records and presenting regular management reports to the School Management.
- Lead the financial planning for the School through the preparation of regular reports (eg Students outstanding School Fees) and forecasts for the Head teacher and School Management
- Ensure that the School’s financial plans are aligned to School Development and Improvement Plan to ensure that priorities are properly resourced and sustainable
- Ensure that the financial policies and procedures meet TAX and all regulatory requirements , propose and Implement any changes and improvements to the school’s financial systems and policies.
- Keep all school accounts and prepare income and expenditure reports, prepare accounts for submission to the school’s auditors and File and submit all Tax returns to TRA within statutory deadlines
- Arrange for Renewal of Business licenses and Insurance policies and School permits within required period.
- Ensure payments of Land rent , property Taxes and any other statutory payments to Central and Local Government are done timely.
- Monitor income and expenditure in relation to budgets and present regular financial reports to Managing Director, Head teacher and Head office, with full details of budget overrun.
- Provide analysis of costs and other statistical information as and when required
- Take responsibility for the effective management of the facilities including use of premises, Furniture and fittings and school environment.
- Monitor the School’s bank account. Cash handling (collections and disbursements and banking). Perform daily checks of bank statement to establish all entries are genuine and that Bank and other charges are correctly computed. Arrange for ordering of replacement cheques/cheque books for the accounts.
- Keep records to properly Manage Students Pocket money.
- Ensure that tax has been correctly computed to all payments to Individual staff subject to PAYE deductions.
- Overseeing the preparation of pupils’ bills and collection of fees and Ensure TRA EFD receipts is raised for all revenues received.
- Ensure payment vouchers are prepared for all payments and expenses properly allocated to school General Ledger.
- All payments made must be properly supported by a Tax Invoice or other valid supporting documents.
- Scrutinizing and approve payment for all invoices received in school and ensure all payments are approved as per school Schedule of Authority.
- Prepare Payroll and Arrange for Payment of all salaries and wages, including PAYE, SDL, NSSF , PSSSF , Higher Education students Loan Board (HESLB) ,Workmen Compensation Fund (WCF) Contributions
- Post payments and receipts to respective General Ledger accounts.
- Perform daily/monthly bank reconciliations and ensure timely corrective action is taken.
- Keep Custody and regularly update School Fixed Asset Register to agree with the General Ledger.
- Prepare quarterly cash forecast and updated monthly.
Management and Administration
- Make sure the school meets all regulatory requirements, Keep custody of school Important Documents eg Business Licenses, Insurance Policies, copies of title deeds, certified copies Memorandum & Articles , Valuation reports , Annual financial statements, Tax Returns and other legal documents and permits.
- Ensure School accounting software is properly maintained and the necessary software upgrades are performed timely.
- Purchasing all goods and services for the school..
- Maintaining contact with the statutory authorities and other organizations eg Bank, TRA, Local Authority and Government Agencies.
- Ensuring the provision of a full and efficient catering service.
- Ensuring that adequate arrangements are in place for cleaning, including recruiting of cleaning staff as required.
- Overall the School Accountant would ideally have:
- ability to produce budgetary estimates, reports, cash flow and financial and statistical summaries;
- knowledge of the principles and methods of bookkeeping and their adaptation to various purposes, including the preparation of final accounts;
- some knowledge of the law and practice relating to Income Tax, (PAYE, SDL and Corporate Tax )
- knowledge of methods of purchasing;
- Knowledge on the use of ICT led accounting packages and advanced MS excel
- Ability to work independently, under pressure and with minimum supervision.
- Proven Integrity and Good personality
- business or administrative skills
The successful performance of the Accountants duties will require theoretical and practical knowledge of the areas listed but we recognize that some of these skills and knowledge may be acquired once in post.
Most importantly, the Accountant needs to be able to work with people from all backgrounds and must possess a calm manner, displaying a sense of humor when needed.
- A Degree or Advance Diploma in Accountancy
- Not Less than two years working experience, preferably in an Education & Training Institution.
- Attractive Package will be offered depending on qualification and experience.
Age requirements: Between 25 and 50 years old
Method of Application
Please write a letter of application outlining your reasons for applying and what you feel you can bring to the post.
Please give the names of two people who can comment on your suitability for this post. If possible, these should both be professional (from different institutions), including your current or last employer.
Closing date for applications: 22nd March 2019