The organization seeks a Senior Technical Specialist-Animal Health
for an anticipated The Fleming Fund Country Grant for Tanzania-Tackling
Antimicrobial Resistance in Tanzania. The Country Grant will address critical gaps
in surveillance of antibiotic resistant bacteria in Tanzania. This grant will support
implementation of national plans for antimicrobial resistance (AMR)
surveillance and will focus on selected number of AMR surveillance sites. We
will work closely with local entities that are already involved in AMR
surveillance, AMRIAMU oversight and improvement activities, local and national
Technical Working Groups and national and regional reference laboratories for
human and animal health, participating AMRIAMU surveillance sites, and other government
and national and international non-government stakeholders, and UN agencies as
well as Mott MacDonald, The Fleming Fund Management Agent.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
This position will be responsible for activities related to
strengthening the capacity and systems for AMRIAMU surveillance in animals.
This position is based in Dar es Salaam with frequent field visits (50 percent
or more) in different parts of Tanzania.
Specific responsibilities may include but are not limited
- Provide technical assistance to collect, assemble, and
review data related to AMR and AMU patterns in animals (e.g., AMR trends for
the zoonotic bacteria/antibiotic combinations in broiler and la¥~r populations)
- Provide technical assistance /participate in animal health
investigations (e.g., source, antibiotic use, and spread of infection)
- Provide technical assistance /participate in mapping/investigating/assessing
antibiotic distribution and use in food livestock
- Provide technical assistance for assessments and improvements
of the veterinary reference laboratory, microbiology laboratories/surveillance
sites for animal health.
- Provide technical assistance for sample collection,
coordination, and transport.
- Conduct supportive supervision and monitoring of, and onsite
coaching and mentoring to CVL and animal AMRIAMU surveillance sites.
- Support Senior Technical Advisor to provide technical
assistance to establish and make functional Animal AMR/AMU TWG. Provide support
to conduct and participate in Animal AMRIAMU TWG meeting.
- Share the findings including AMR/AMU trends to Animal AMR/AMU
TWG quarterly and annually.
- Provide technical assistance to prepare and submit AMR/AMU-related
data and report as per the national, regional and global standard and requirements.
Bachelor's degree in animal science or other relevant
subject and 8 years of experience in animal health, animal science, animal
production, veterinary technology, or a related area. Masters' degree with 5
years of similar experience is considered equivalent. Registered Veterinary
Technician/Technologist is preferred. This combination of education and work
experience would provide the following relevant specialized knowledge and
skills in subject areas associated with animal health:
- Livestock management (e.g., nutrition, care, treatment, and
health) with an emphasis on poultry
- Biosafety and biosecurity and how to apply principles
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with livestock
producers and animal industry stakeholders
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in an IT
- Strong coordination, communication, and interpersonal
- Fluency in English
- AMR/AMU and disease surveillance and other relevant health
programs (strongly preferred)
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the
ethical issues surrounding research and surveillance
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job, it
neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry
out these duties.
How to apply
Interested candidates can apply through FHI360 career at; https://www.fhi360.org/careers or send the resume (max.of 3 pages) to APROProposal@fhi360.org.