This role will involve providing a range of psychological assessment, diagnostic, therapeutic, and/or case management services for individuals, teenage mothers, fistula women, and families, as appropriate to the specific expectations of the position. May provide practical training and guidance to paraprofessional staff, as required.
· Arrange and perform community visits around Tanzania when necessary, with the aim of raising awareness of obstetric fistula, how to prevent it and find fistula patients.
· To build strong relationships with the Maternity Africa Ambassadors, community and its leaders.
· To develop educational materials to be used during the visits to help with the creating awareness of obstetric fistula.
· To recruit, train, and support “fistula ambassadors” to find and send fistula patients to Kivulini Maternity Centre.
· Building relationship and expanding the number of active Ambassadors.
· To recruit fistula patients for treatment either personally or via ambassadors.
· To help facilitate and safe transport of fistula patients from their homes to Kivulini and back after treatment in coordination with nursing staff.
· To counsel patients while in hospital, ensuring their needs are met, liaising with family etc.
· To help arrange logistics for treatment, transport money, patient bills and to communicate with Maternity Africa administration on these matters.
· To prepare Quarterly, Biannual and Annual reports for all activities submitted to MA administration. Provide a brief verbal and written report after each outreach including statistics of how many people were educated and screened.
· To have input for the planning, organizing and running of the fistula camps. This involves liaising with the fistula surgeons, organizing fistula patients’ arrival pre camp and collaborating with relevant departments within the hospital.
· To develop outreach budgets and submit them for approval prior to travelling.
· To liaise with government officials and departments as requested by MA management for the on-going running of Kivulini Maternity Centre.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
· Ability to apply counselling methods and techniques.
· Knowledge of community social issues around Tanzania
· Knowledge of Fistula, causes, prevention and treatment
· Knowledge of crisis intervention techniques.
· Knowledge of case management.
· Knowledge and understanding of clinical counselling principles, programs and methodology.
· Interviewing and psychological/developmental evaluation skills.
· Ability to maintain emotional stability to cope with human suffering, emergencies, and other stresses.
· Knowledge of legal and ethical issues related to patients' rights.
Qualifications and specifications
· A minimum of a Diploma in Social Work.
· At least Five years of professional experience working as a Social Worker preferably in health Sector.
· Experience in patients counselling.
Interested applicants should send their application letter, CV, Copies of their certificates and testimonials demonstrating how their experience fits the position to firstname.lastname@example.org before 15th March, 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.