Promotes and sells Telecom Network products and related services to potential customers by providing technical knowledge.
Technology has advanced in leaps and bounds in recent years, and continues to alter the ways we communicate and do business. But not everyone has the time or know-how to keep up with these advancements. The technical sales engineer is the person who stays abreast of the latest developments and breakthroughs, and who can pass this vital knowledge on to others.
Technical Sales Engineer acts as the sales team's technical encyclopaedia during the sale of goods and services. They represent the technical aspects of the product and propose how these aspects can benefit the customer. Sales engineers must have a strong technical understanding of the complexities of what their company supplies together with excellent sales skills.
The role of the incumbent (Technical sales engineer) will essentially involve:
- To identify new business and providing prospects with product and service knowledge.
- Prepare and Tailor Technical/Financial Proposals with regards to prospect requirements.
- Translating and explaining (Presentation) highly complex technical information to customers and clients.
- Sales of company Product and Services.
- Advising customers on how best to use the products or services provided.
- Collaborating with the design, production, engineering, or research and development departments of the company to determine how products and services could be made or modified to suit the needs of the customer.
- Selling and consulting on technologically and scientifically advanced products.
- Using technical skills to demonstrate to potential customers the usefulness of the product or service and how it may suit the customer better than competing products.
- Identifying and establishing new business
- Organising sales visits
- Liaising with existing clients
- Preparing tenders, proposals and quotations
- Providing pre-sales and post-sales support
- Negotiating contracts, terms and conditions
- Reviewing cost and sales performance
- Writing reports
- Providing product education and advice to the team
- Attending trade exhibitions, conferences and meetings
- Ensuring that sales targets are met.
- Carrying out product performance and market share analyses
Key skills for Technical Sales Engineers
- Strong technical skills
- Organisational skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Analytical skills
- Team work skills
- Sales skills
- Commercial awareness
- A valid driver’s licence shall be of immense advantage
- Degree or Higher diploma preferably in Electrical, Telecommunication or Computer engineering
- At least 3 years of proven competence in same field
- Commercial awareness and competence
- Eloquence in Sales and marketing capabilities
- “Street smartness”