Job descriptionLocation: The position will be based out one of PCI’s field offices, including Dar es Salaam (Tanzania), Blantyre (Malawi), Lusaka (Zambia), or Gaborone (Botswana).
Job Summary: The Associate/Technical Advisor, Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation (MLE) will work under the supervision and guidance of the Director of Strategic Information for Impact (SII) within PCI’s Program Quality and Applied Learning Unit. This position is responsible to provide monitoring, learning, evaluation and reporting support and technical assistance to the field regarding MLE, with a focus on projects in the Africa region. Priority areas of focus include technical support in designing, developing, implementing and evaluating systems to collect program monitoring, research, and evaluation data to improve program quality, ensure accountability to stakeholders, and promote learning.
This position will primarily support the implementation of project-level MLE activities for specific PCI projects implemented in the Africa Region. At the project level, responsibilities may include: Develop MLE components of proposal development and program design; Contribute to MLE system design and improvement; Monitor implementation of MLE plans; Provide ongoing technical assistance and strengthen field staff capacity in key MLE areas throughout project life cycle; Support the coordination, design and implementation of selected project evaluations; Support data utilization and dissemination and other learning activities, including support on the preparation of abstracts for conference presentation, manuscripts, project reviews, and other documentation materials. In addition, this position will coordinate with IO/SII to support portfolio- and organizational-level priorities to support PCI’s strategic plan and advance PCI’s organizational MLE agenda.
Key Duties And Responsibilities
- Provide project-level MLE technical leadership and support to programs in the Africa Region (75%):
- Provide project-level leadership for the design, implementation, and continual improvement of an effective MLE strategy.
- Support the development and/or strengthening of project-level M&E plans, ensuring that M&E systems and tools produce relevant, timely, quality data that are responsive to the project MLE strategy, program beneficiaries, and compliant with reporting requirements.
- Support implementation of project-level M&E plans, including the timely collection, data management, analysis and reporting of accurate qualitative and quantitative data on a routine basis in line with PCI and reporting needs and requirements
- With program and field MLE teams, develop analyses and tools based on programmatic data to assess program quality
- Develop and support activities to assess and improve data quality of routine program data
- Facilitate the utilization of data by key stakeholders within PCI and applicable partner institutions (e.g. sub-partners, host country government) to inform program planning and program improvement
- Provide technical review and edit drafts and/or write sections of reports to donors in order to enhance the quality of reports.
- Support the design, implementation and dissemination of selected baseline assessments, project reviews, mid-term and final evaluations.
- Support research activities including impact assessments and support efforts for identifying opportunities for design and implementation of Operations Research Studies.
- Strengthen M&E capacity of relevant PCI internal and partner staff, in areas including data management, analysis, reporting and utilization of findings for program improvement.
- Support the design and establishment of various knowledge sharing platforms including case studies, workshops and forums to disseminate lessons & best practices
- Produce and disseminate high quality project case studies, success stories, best practices and lessons learned that are supported with an evidence-base, beneficiary testimonials, impact/comparative data and other relevant information to internal PCI as well as external audiences
- Network and liaise with other international PVO/NGO MLE professionals, donor organizations and others as appropriate in the Africa region.
- Support the development of new and/or expanded programs, including proposal preparation, program design and planning (15%):
- Provide support to proposal preparation for new and/or expanded programs.
- Assist in writing, developing, and/or reviewing project proposals and detailed implementation plans.
- Provide assistance on design of programs, projects, and studies, including review and provision of feedback on selected program/project/study designs, survey methodology and findings; performance monitoring plans, evaluation methodology and findings.
- Contributes to PCI’s global PQAL / MLE agenda (10%)
- Maintain effective communication and coordination with IO PQAL/SII team
- Support PCI Strategic Plan measurement
- Identify and/or contributes to the development, piloting, documentation and dissemination of new or enhanced standards and systems to improve the programmatic quality, documentation, and program development efforts organization-wide.
- MPH or equivalent advanced degree in biological, environmental or social sciences
- At least 2 to 4 years of professional experience in MLE related to international development programs and sound experience in planning, programming and evaluation
- Experience with federal regulations and administration of grants and cooperative agreements
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, including knowledge of common statistical software packages used for the management and analysis of programmatic MLE data
- Experience and capacity in institutionalizing MLE systems and standards throughout an organization
- Proven capacity to effectively manage MLE processes, including strong negotiation and facilitation skills, as well as skills to mentor staff with various levels of technical capacity and experience;
- Experience communicating effectively and working with a diverse set of counterparts, including global headquarter staff, country stakeholders, host government, non governmental organizations, health care providers and community representatives
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with both technical and non-technical staff
- Self-initiated and ability to work both independently under remote supervision, while coordinating and collaborating with diverse field counterparts across multiple countries
- Strong writing skills to prepare reports and to contribute to publications and promotional materials
- Excellent inter-personal and inter-cultural skills
- Interested and able to travel up to 50% of the time to exciting and remote field sites in the Southern Africa region
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Experience / familiarity with knowledge management information platforms, mobile technology, and web technologies
- Experience working with US Government donors (i.e. USAID, OFDA, DOD, PEPFAR)