seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Chauffeur in the General Services Section.
Vacancy Announcement Number: 16/306
OPEN TO: All Interested Candidates/ All sources
WORK HOURS: Full-time; 48 hours/week
SALARY: Ordinarily Resident (OR): FSN- 3; (Step 1- TZS 14,388,405 through Step 13- 21,582,609 per annum)
Not-Ordinarily Resident (NOR): FP- BB*
*Final grade/step for NORs will be determined by Washington.
The “Open To” category listed above refers to candidates who are eligible to apply for this position. The “Open To” category should not be confused with a “hiring preference” which is explained later in this vacancy announcement.
ALL ORDINARILY RESIDENT (OR) APPLICANTS (See Appendix A for definition) MUST HAVE THE REQUIRED WORK AND/OR RESIDENCY PERMITS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
The US Mission in Dar es Salaam is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Chauffeur in the General Services Section.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
Serves as a Chauffeur in the US Embassy motor pool with responsibility for seeing to the safety and comfort of passengers in transit, proper loading and unloading of vehicles and security of cargo when assigned to drive truck. As required, act as a messenger in delivering invitations and other various documents.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Operates all terrain and passenger vehicles and flat-bed trucks. Performs routine duties and may act as a messenger in delivering documents or invitations to other embassies, government bodies or associated U.S. Agencies and may be assigned up-country trips. Must communicate in English on the radio anytime he is in the vehicle.
2. Responsible for safety operation and maintenance of Embassy vehicles assigned. Schedule and deliver vehicles to the garage for time-ups. Responsible for proper loading and unloading of vehicles, security of cargo and safety of passengers on transit. Also assist visitors and TDY ers at the airport when necessary.
3. Makes daily appropriate entries on trip tickets and record in the systems through WEB PASS. Immediate preparation of accidents report and advises Motor pool supervisor of any vehicles defects.
All applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
Completion of Primary School is required.
- Prior Work Experience:
Must have three years driving experience from private corporations or government agencies is required.
- Language Proficiency:
Level III (good working knowledge) in English and Level IV (fluent) in Kiswahili is required.
- Skills and Abilities:
Class C local driver's license appropriate to drive all types of vehicles and motorcycles is required.
- Job Knowledge:
Must be familiar with local traffic laws and area traffic patterns. Should have thorough knowledge of roads and streets in Dar es Salaam. Must be familiar with simple auto mechanics is required.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: The complete position description listing all of the duties and responsibilities can be obtained on our website and/or by contacting the Human Resources Office DarRecruitment@state.gov .
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
2. AEFM / USEFM
3. FS on LWOP**
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a
preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent
Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge
from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department
of Veterans Affairs. If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S.
Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional
eligibility. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not
received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy
announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in
the application process. Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S.
Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA:
- Management will consider when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, and residency status.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance report (EPR) are not eligible to apply.
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Employment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.