The job will require shift work and reasonable overtime as determined by the requirements of the operations.
- Carry out laboratory analytical testing in accordance with documented SOPs or recognized standard reference methods to ensure accuracy and quality of work.
- Review completed analytical reports to ensure accuracy and correctness of data and do final reporting.
- Ensure that quality control criteria are met for all reported data.
- Perform scheduled verification of critical equipment (weight, volume, temperature, calibration standards).
- Understand and troubleshoot the analyses and provide input to corrective action procedures.
- Report any deviation from documented procedures to the Project and Laboratory Manager.
- Inform the Project and Laboratory Manager of any non-conforming event related to client samples, analytical testing or other laboratory operations.
- Inform coordinator of any unsafe conditions.
- Ensure deadlines are met.
- Act in a safe and professional manner and wear appropriate attire including require Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Ensure proper functioning of the laboratory by:
- Monitoring the performance and maintenance of the instruments.
- Ensuring adequate inventory of laboratory consumable supplies and chemicals.
- Practicing good housekeeping.
- Perform other duties as required by management.
- Ensure that Analysts are working efficiently, and the Chemistry department is meeting turnaround time requirements.
- Ensure that operators are following Health & Safety guidelines.
EDUCATION: BSc or Technical Diploma in Chemistry or a scientific discipline.
EXPERIENCE:1-5 years experience in a laboratory setting.
Able to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently.
- Excellent communication skills (written and spoken) in English.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to multitask.
- Outstanding customer service skills are essential.
- Detail orientated and ability to work very well under pressure.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience using a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
REPORTS TO: Project and Laboratory Manager.
COORDINATOR OF: Analysts in Chemistry department
SUBSTITUTIONS: Nominated Department Coordinator, Analyst or Project and Laboratory Manager.
- Quality of test results produced and reported
- Delays due to inefficient use of resources or lack of proper prioritization
- Equipment downtime due to failure to adhere to maintenance schedules
- Any non-conformances due to failure to follow company policies and procedures
- Loss of revenue due to inadequate planning of instrument commission and method
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS (KPIs):
Quality Control and Safety Management
- Adhere to Occupational Health and Safety procedures under supervision
- Adhere to Quality Control procedures under supervision
- Participate in external and internal audits
- Investigation of Complaints/Queries/NCR’s
Key Performance Indicator:
- Zero workplace accidents/incidents
- Hazards identified and reported; accidents eliminated
- Adherence to housekeeping standards
- Attendance of toolbox/ safety meetings
- No. of non-conformances, customer queries or complaints due to failure to adhere to all relevant company procedures and policies regarding quality requirements
- Daily checks performed, recorded and necessary action taken
- Non-conformances closed out in specified time
- Quality of information and timing of report
- Ensure daily tasks in Fire Assay are performed by trained and authorized staff
- Ensure client expectations are met/ exceeded
- Ensure the appropriate use of laboratory materials and equipment
- LIMS entry and data transfer
- Data QC
Key Performance Indicator:
- No. of non-conformances, customer queries or complaints due to failure to adhere to all relevant operational and quality procedures
- Meet daily production targets
- Verification of critical equipment and supplies accurate and current
- No downtime due to failure to perform first line routine maintenance, failure to report equipment breakdowns, failure to report decrease in consumables used.
- No reports of consumable wastage
- No delays or errors due to failure to comply
- Technical signatory
- Staff supervision
- Staff training
- Manage stock levels
- Monitor time and attendance
Key Performance Indicator
- Staff supervision
- When applicable, shift handover records to be current and accurate
- Production and quality monitoring logbooks to be current and accurate
- No delays due to lack of prioritizing work and allocating resources
- Equipment Maintenance register should be current and accurate
- Ensure training and competency records of staff are current
- Training and Development plans as well as records to be current
- No downtime due to failure to report decrease in consumables used.
- On time delivery and sign off accurate timesheets
BE SURE TO CLICK "EDIT APPLICATION DETAILS" BEFORE CLICKING "APPLY NOW"