Dairy managers are responsible for the maintenance of facilities related to dairy production and the care of the dairy herd. Often, they are in charge of employees who work directly with the raising, feeding and
milking of the herd. Dairy managers work with all kinds of people. They need to be able to communicate their ideas effectively through writing or speaking, and they must be well versed in animal husbandry so that they can manage the health of the herd.
Additionally, dairy managers must demonstrate good leadership as well as dependability. Because they may fill in for subordinates, dairy managers also may have to be flexible in their work schedules. Ensure that the milk collection process is effective, efficient and flawless
Dairy managers are mostly involved with the supervision of workers in all aspects of dairy production, which can include preparing appropriate feed, maintaining the equipment for milking, designating good pastures and managing the herd. However, they may also need to perform lower-level job duties, in the case of employees' illnesses or vacation time. They may need to find treatment for sick animals, ease difficult births and designate breeding times for the animals.
Dairy managers also perform clerical and administrative job duties, like drawing up budget plans and maintaining records of day-to-day operations. They may be involved with payroll, personnel evaluations and personnel training. Furthermore, dairy managers may work with their supervisors or coworkers to meet production requirements.
- Ensure efficient management and operations of Dairy Hub
- Ensure that the milk collection process is effective, efficient and flawless;
- Create structures and activities that foster excellent customer service delivery and maintain a positive image for Dairy Hub
- Approve payment vouchers, petty cash vouchers and suppliers’ invoices as per set authorization limits;
- Implement administration systems controls, in order to eliminate losses to the DH through revenue leakage;
- Manage Dairy Hub assets including office equipment and human personnel;
- Supervise all staff and handle all matters related to human resources and staff performance management;
- Collaborate with external partners to increase milk production for farmers in the region;
- Ensure annual budgets are prepared in consultation with the Accountant and communicated to the management for approval;
- Attend management committee meetings as a senior management member and provide advice on technical issues concerning dairy production and management;
- Meet revenue targets set by the management committee within agreed timelines
- Implement management committee decisions and annual general meetings resolutions
- And Any other work assigned by the Management Committee/Board.
Associate's degrees and bachelor's degrees in dairy management or similar. Examples of coursework include dairy herd breeding, dairy herd management, herd health and herd records. In addition to
learning about the care of a dairy herd, dairy managers may take coursework in statistics, speech, business and personnel management.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Dairy Technology, Food Technology, Agriculture, Livestock or related field
- Post graduate or professional diploma in Management from a recognized institution will be an added advantage
- A Minimum of five (5) years post experience at a Dairy Farm
- Experience in dairy management preferably in a milk production set up
- Sound knowledge of business management, finance, industrial engineering and human resource management principles and practices
- Knowledge and experience in implementing and ensuring compliance to, quality systems production standards and health and safety standards
- Should have thorough knowledge of the relevant industry/sector as well as knowledge of regulatory requirements affecting the relevant sector
- Must demonstrate ability to handle multiple and conflicting priorities, and work under strict deadlines.
- Should have effective people management and conflict resolution skills
- Must have knowledge in use of MS office packages
LOCATION: Iringa, Tanzania
Budget: Very senior, negotiable on experience