Reports to: Senior Accounting Manager
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare documents by scrutinizing and verifying that all required attachments have been supplied before documents is channeled for approval, posting and payment process.
- Post entries into Quick Book on a daily basis.
- Ensure all entries posted into Quick-books are in compliance with International Financial reporting standard, GAAP and QuickBooks accounting and reporting manual.
- Initiate payments into the banking system or writing bank checks, while ensuring segregation of duty is strictly for each paid document is strictly observed between posting and payments.
- Ensure payments and all other processes are in compliance with internal control policy and other policies.
- Prepare and submit all documents posted and paid through the bank to the senior accountants on a daily basis for QB check application and for reconciliation purpose.
- Maintain document workflow system and ensuring the document workflow template is fully updated with daily posting and payments made.
- Ensure all payments are properly scanned and submitted to HQ.
- Reconcile financial discrepancies and errors as reported by collecting and analyzing account information.
- Answer accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting accounting policies and regulations.
- Enforce internal policies to program staff, eg Training SOP, Travel advance policy, Mpesapolicy and other policies within the program.
- Prepare financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends, as directed by the Senior Accountant and/or Accounting Manager.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Prepare the monthly payroll entry for review by Senior Accountant.
- Prepare monthly closing schedules for review by Senior Accountant.
- Reconcile bank accounts and clears any discrepancies in the balances by researching and analyzing the account information.
- Maintain and reconcile petty cash accounts on a monthly basis to be reviewed by the Senior Accountant
- Manage time sheets and make follow-up. Where necessary scanned them to HQ.
- Manage statutory deductions, NSSF, PPF, and PAYE Files in Monthly basis.
- Work with other program staff to understand program activities and appreciate the existing linkage with finance
- Take initiative to understand budget preparation, implementation and monitoring process and the overall financial management of the program
- Work while observing the Professional Code of Conduct (PICCO). Professional behavior, Integrity, Competence, Confidentiality and Objectivity. General accountant is directly obligated to report any misconduct observed or heard that is against these codes to the immediate supervisor or to the appropriate reporting channel.
- Undertake other assignments assigned by the senior accountant, accounting manager and Senior Finance Director.
The General Accountant must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Deadline-Oriented, Reporting Research Results, SFAS Rules, Time Management and Data Entry Management.
- Experience working in accounting with an international NGO, health related NGO especially desirable.
- 1-2 years of QuickBooks Enterprise or similar electronic accounting software experience
- Knowledge of the full accounting cycle.
- Highly proficient in Excel and Word applications.
- High level of deductive reasoning.
- Ability to problem-solve and take initiative to resolve issues.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) in English and Swahili.
- Exceptional follow-through skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines .
Minimum Education:Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or relevant field. CPA/ACCA is an added advantage.