Technical Sales Engineer
1. University Degree in Mechanical or Civil Engineering with at least 5 years experience in civil construction, road construction and/or water supply projects.
2. Knowledge of national and international standards for road/rail construction and sewerage and drainage systems.
3. Have technical competence in mechanical and civil design engineering, together with good understanding of engineering principles and in particular the complexities of multi-disciplinary projects.
4. Authoring Technical reports; participating in Design Reviews; Specifications for pipework systems; Mechanical and Structural Calculations, Pipework systems schematic layout drawings, Design Risk Assessments.
5. Have awareness of commercial issues with a general understanding of project commercial processes and constraints.
6. Understand the importance of and execution of sales strategy.
7. Must be result oriented in terms of selling/securing orders from existing and prospective customers.
8. Ability to plan and programme (particularly own work). Prioritise and allocate time according to priorities.
9. Relevant practical engineering experience.
10. Ability to engage with senior engineers and managers in the private and public sector.
11. Experience in sales and marketing will be an added advantage.
12. Experience in working with the public sector through infrastructure projects.
13. Strong account management and relationship building skills.
14. Strong communication and interpersonal skills in both English and Kiswahili with aptitude in building relationships with professionals at all organizational levels.
15. Ability to work independently and as a team member.
16. Strong organizational skills.
17. Strong problem solving and negotiation skills.
18. Strong technical and analytical skills.
19. Strong report writing and presentation skills.
20. Focused, committed and self-motivated.
21. Proficiency in Microsoft Office and AutoCAD.
22. Valid driving License.
This is not an exhaustive list, and within reason, additional tasks or duties may be requested that are still within the overall scope of the role:
1. Establish, develop, and maintain business relationships with existing and prospective customers to generate new business from both the public and private sector.
2. Drive strategic plan into desired business results.
3. Develop a database of projects in water storage, sanitation, infrastructure construction, irrigation etc. where key product can be applied that includes information such as key decision makers, relevant contact details, contractors, project clients, sources of funding, tendering process, timelines etc.
4. Ensure that sales targets are met by driving the sales volumes at optimum pricing.
5. Re-viewing and checking designs, drawings and data
6. Negotiate, formulate and manage supply contracts and follow up payments from clients.
7. Play an integral role in new business pitches and hold responsibility for the effective onboarding of new clients especially from the public sector.
8. Promote and lobby for local content in major infrastructure projects in the public sector.
9. Ensure the correct products and services are delivered to customers in a timely manner.
10. Manage tenders, proposals and quotations for major infrastructure projects related to key products.
11. Pro-active liaison with Consulting Engineers and Engineers in the public sector in motivating and promoting products for infrastructure projects.
12. Assisting with the preparation, interpretation and review of calculations, specifications and plans for product specific projects.
13. Arranging and attending presentations and meetings as necessary in order to promote the business and key product in a professional way face-to-face.
14. Serve as the link of communication between key customers in the public sector and internal teams.
15. Work with design and fabrication teams in developing products to meet customer requirements.
16. Resolve any issues and problems faced by key public sector customers and deal with complaints to maintain trust.
17. Play an integral part in generating new sales, that will turn into long-lasting relationships.
18. Prepare regular reports of progress and forecasts for management using key account metrics.
19. Acquire a thorough understanding of key customer needs and requirements and recommend suitable business products/solutions.
20. Gather relevant market information, inform Sales & Marketing Manager on potential business opportunities and competitor behavior.
21. Understand market potential for business and other plastic pipe products and establish market share with a view to increasing the same.
22. Co-ordinate with the production/field services/operations department to produce/install goods for customers.
23. Co-ordinate with the finance department for finance related matters pertaining to the customers.
24. Provide management with regular oral and written reports on sales and marketing, customer needs, problems, interests, competitive activities and potential for new products and services.
25. Keep abreast of product applications, technical services, market conditions, competitor activities, advertising and promotional trends.
26. Organize and participate in trade shows, exhibitions, conferences and meetings related to the business.
Levels of Authority:
· Liaison with customers, consulting engineers, government officials and engineers in the public and private sector.
· Negotiate prices and contracts with customers with approval from the Business Development Manager
· Meeting sales targets.
· Expanded and updated project database.
· Increased sales turn over.
· Reduction in customer complaints.
Reporting Mechanisms & Frequencies:
· Monthly activity reports to the Business Development Manager.
· Regular formal and informal reporting to the Business Development Manager.